Resources : Helpful Links

Here are some places on the internet that we would like to share with you.

Pre-Paid Funeral Planning Brochure (.pdf file)

If you are interested in purchasing a pre-arranged funeral plan with Elgin Providence, please visit this link provided by the Texas Department of Banking. Read this informational brochure carefully. It can help you understand prepaid funeral contract funding options. Our funeral directors are available to answer any questions you may have concerning pre-arranged plans. You may call them at any time at (512)281-2340.

Pre-planning information

The State of Texas has developed a website to help you make informesd decisions concerning the purchase of prepaid funeral benefits at

Veterans' Affairs

Survivors of any person, who was an active or retired member of the military at time of death, or an honorably discharged veteran, may be eligible for a number of benefits, including: 1.     An American flag (usually drapes the casket). 2.     Burial in a National Cemetery 3.     Flat bronze, flat marble, flat granite, or upright marble markers. A lump sum payment of $300.00 is usually available to families of those veterans that were entitled to receive VA compensation or pension at time of death (such as retirees), or veterans who died while a registered patient in a VA hospital or other accredited VA facility. If one of these circumstances applies and a National Cemetery is not utilized, up to $300.00 could be reimbursed as a plot or interment allowance (requires proof of payment to a non-VA cemetery. Private cemeteries usually assist you by filing this benefit in your behalf). For veterans who die of a service-connected disability, the VA could pay an allowance to reimburse funeral costs of $1500.00 or less (no additional VA death benefits would be available). Active duty military personnel are usually entitled to a greater amount, which may vary. If not remarried, the surviving spouse is eligible for burial in the National Cemetery. Dependent children of the veteran are also eligible. There is no time limit as to when a family may apply for a marker. Elgin Providence will be pleased to submit an application for these benefits on your behalf if you will provide us with the veteran's Honorable Discharge papers. For VA Assistance and Information, call 1-800-827-1000 or visit their website at

Social Security
Social Security

The deceased worker must have credit for work covered by Social Security, ranging from 1 1/2 to 10 years depending on his or her age at death. 

Those eligibile includes: widows or widowers age 60 or older (50 if disabled), or those at any age if caring for an entitled child who is under 16 or disabled;  divorced widows or widowers age 60 or older (50 if disabled) if the marriage lasted 10 years, or if caring for an entitled child who is under 16 or disabled; unmarried children up to 18 (19 if they are attending a primary or secondary school full -time); children who were disabled before reaching 22, as long as they remained disabled; dependent parent or parents 62 or older. 

Lump-Sum Death Payment
A one time payment of $255 is paid in addition to the monthly cash benefits described above. The lump-sum death payment (LSDP) is paid in the following priority order:
1.     A surviving spouse who lived in the same household as the deceased person at the time of death.
2.     A surviving spouse eligible for or entitled to benefits for the month of death.
3.     A child or children eligible for or entitled to benefits for the month of death. 

Applying for Benefits
You must apply in order to receive benefits.  You may apply at any Social Security office or by calling 1-800-772-1213.  The operator will schedule an appointment for you or arrange for the local Social Security office to take your claim by telephone.  You may use the toll-free number to make an appointment either in a Social Security office or telephone to apply for benefits, transact other Social Security business, or just ask questions.