Who We Are : Our Story

Our StoryOur StaffOur Locations
Our History

Schumacher Funeral Home was established in 1949 by Ray Schumacher, and was located in the former First German Baptist Church at the corner of 7th and Winnebago Streets in La Crosse. The funeral home was purchased by Don Kish in 1973, who had been an employee of the funeral home since 1964. The Kish family name was added several years later. Under Don's direction, Schumacher-Kish Funeral Home continued to foster its firmly established reputation of providing caring and dignified service to La Crosse families. He expanded that service area by adding a new facility in La Crescent, Minnesota in 1980, and building a much larger facility in La Crosse, located at 200 West Ave. So., in 1983.

After Don's passing in 1986, ownership of the funeral homes continued in the Kish family under Don's sons, Steve and Scott. In 1995, the brothers further widened their service area to the communities of Onalaska and Holmen through the purchase of the Jobe Family Funeral Home at 907 Sand Lake Road in Onalaska, and continuing operations there as Schumacher-Kish Funeral Home of Onalaska.

2012 was a year of change at Schumacher-Kish Funeral Homes. A new funeral home was built in La Crescent at 111 South Oak St. offering a larger facility with more amenities to families in the La Crescent area. Also, an addition was made to the Onalaska facility to make room for a new crematory. And finally, a name change was made to Schumacher-Kish Funeral and Cremation Services which better reflected all the services now provided. Today, Schumacher-Kish Funeral and Cremation Services remains committed to area families in their time of need and to the community as well. That commitment is the legacy of Ray Schumacher and Don Kish.