Since 1865 and for five generations, the Brown family has been an important part of the greater Huntingdon area business community.
Philip Brown, our founder and cabinet maker by trade, emigrated from his native Germany to Baltimore in May, 1857. He settled in Huntingdon in 1861 and was employed by a local cabinet maker. In the spring of 1865, he hung out his own shingle as a cabinet maker and furniture dealer.
As a cabinet maker, the construction of caskets and coffins was a logical extension of the trade. Eventually, the casket builders were called upon to prepare the deceased for burial and then to undertake the responsibility for the entire service.
Philip retired in 1889 and his four sons, Louis, Harry, John and Edward continued the family business under the name Philip Brown's Sons.
Following the deaths of Edward and John in 1900 and 1909, the firm changed name again becoming Brown Brothers. The surviving brothers, Louis and Harry, dropped the furniture business to concentrate solely on providing professional funeral service.
In 1919, Harry's son Carl purchased his uncle Louis's interest in the company. The firm was renamed Harry Brown and Son.