Who We Are : Our Story

Our StoryOur StaffOur Location
Our Beginnings

Fjelstul Funeral Home's four generation commitment to funeral service in Decorah, dates back to 1930. Roberta Fjelstul's grandfather, L. B. Willis and his partner P. J. Ness established a funeral home at 306 East Water Street in Decorah.

Roger Fjelstul's father, C. F. Fjelstul acquired the business in 1936 and changed the name to Fjelstul Funeral Home. It became the Steine Funeral Home in 1948 when Charles "Harry" Steine purchased the business. Darrell Olson, Harry Steine's brother-in-law, joined the firm that same year.

Roberta Fjelstul's father, Robert B. Olson opened the Olson Funeral Home at 306 West Main Street in 1947. The name of the funeral home was later changed to Olson-Fjelstul Funeral Home when Roger Fjelstul joined the business in 1959.

In 1979, Roger Fjelstul purchased the Steine Funeral Home. The two businesses were operated as separate locations until a major building project was completed in 1986 at 306 East Water Street. The businesses were then combined into the larger facility and the name was changed to Fjelstul Funeral Home.

In April 1986, Scott Fjelstul joined his father Roger in the family business.

Roger died July 18, 2009.