It was in 1910 when John Ruhland started his funeral and furniture business in Columbus, Kansas. The first location was on the southeast corner of the square in Columbus. The business was known as the Jones-Ruhland Funeral & Furniture Store. It was years later when John Ruhland purchased the Jones family interest and moved the funeral home to the corner of Elm and Indiana where it was a funeral home. Mr. Ruhland operated the business until January of 1953 when the business sold to L.D. and Marcella Murdock.
Mr. Murdock passed away in 1975 and at the time the business was operated by Mrs. Murdock and her two sons, Larry and Gene Murdock. In June of 1978, the Murdock family took over the Jorden Funeral operation, this joined two of the older funeral homes in the state. The firm name was now known as the Jorden-Murdock Funeral Home, and evolved to become Murdock Funeral Homes of Columbus and Oswego.
In May of 2011, both branches of Murdock Funeral Home were purchased by Derfelt Funeral Homes, and joined our family as the 3rd and 4th location. Since then, we have focused our goal towards continuing the legacy in Southeast Kansas that has been set forth by four generations of Derfelt's in the funeral industry.
(More information about the history of our Galena and Baxter locations can be found on their individual websites, and can be accessed from the main page: www.derfeltfuneralhomes.com)