Founded on October 22, 1922, Home Undertaking Company was built at South and Pine streets in Redding. The original stockholders were L. Stanford Scott, Ollie Rose, William Stevens, James Wright, Roy Weekly, Harry W. Glover and H.S. Mossor.
Home Undertaking Company was sold in 1946 to Amos Melinger who operated the Melinger Mortuary at the original site until 1951. At that time, Mr. Dusel went into partnership with Mr. Melinger and the mortuary was known as Melinger & Dusel Mortuary.
In 1960, Mr. Robert Hesse purchased the original mortuary and moved the business to its current Redding location on Eureka Way in December 1970. In 1972, Hesse Funeral Chapel celebrated 50 years of mortuary service to Redding and surrounding areas.
In March 1978, James Allen and Howard Dahl purchased the firm from Mr. Hesse, changing the name to Allen & Dahl Funeral Chapel. In March 1986, Allen & Dahl Funeral Chapel opened a chapel in nearby Anderson to serve residents in the Anderson and Cottonwood communities.
In the 1980's, McDonald's Chapel in Redding, Anderson and Burney, Lawncrest Chapel and Memorial Park, and Redding Cemetery sold to a corporation headquartered in Texas. Our business grew substantially after that time and we added a new chapel in Palo Cedro in 1995.
It is interesting to go through the ledgers of services provided by this firm since 1922. We appreciate the community's continued confidence in Allen & Dahl Funeral Chapel, and hope the quality of service we provide has earned and will continue to earn your approval and friendship.