Potter John W.
Judge John W. Potter passed away on October 3, 2013. He was born in Toledo on October 25, 1918. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Kathy S. Potter and his loving wife of 67 years, Phyllis Potter. Surviving are his son, John W. Potter, Jr. (Sue) and daughter, Carolyn D. Hoyt (Norm); grandchildren, Lindsay Hoyt Guzaski, Megan Hoyt Smith (Brad), Laura Potter Stone (Matt), Matthew Potter (Katie), Thomas John Heintschel (Jennie Kummerer) and Peter Heintschel; 10 great grandchildren and his life-long friend, Andy Anderson. Judge Potter was a judge for the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, appointed by President Reagan on June 21, 1982. He served as Senior Judge from August 1, 1992 and went to inactive Senior Status on October 1, 2004. Formerly Judge of the Ohio Sixth Appellate District, February 9, 1969 to July 8, 1982. He was endorsed by the Toledo Bar Association for reelection to the Ohio Appellate Court, regardless of who the opposition might be, by a substantial majority vote of the membership in 1974 and again in 1980 by a 96% vote. He was reelected without opposition in 1974 and in 1980. He has served by assignment on the Ohio Common Pleas Court, various Ohio appellate courts, the Supreme Court of Ohio and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Mr. Potter was admitted to the Ohio Bar in March, 1947 and engaged in the general practice, as an associate then partner, in the firm of Boxell, Bebout, Torbet & Potter, and predecessor firms, from 1947-1969. He was a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, 1946 J.D., Senior Editor Law Review. In 1940, he graduated from the University of Toledo with honors. His memberships included Phi Kappa Phi Scholastic Honorary Fraternity, ARX, now Blue Key Men’s Honorary Society, University of Toledo while a student, and also listed in Who’s Who in American Universities. He was named the University of Toledo’s Outstanding Alumnus in 1966 and awarded its Gold Key. He also was named by the University of Toledo College of Arts and Sciences as its 2006 Outstanding Alumnus in the Humanities and Social Sciences. His continuing legal education included attendance at the New York University of Law School Appellate Judges Seminar and many other state and federal legal seminar. Judge Potter’s study of law was interrupted in 1942 when he entered the United States Army. He served as an officer in the field Artillery during World War II and was awarded four battle stars and a bronze star. In 1999, he was named to the field Artillery Officer Candidate School Hall of Fame. From 1961-1967. Mr. Potter was Mayor of the City of Toledo and was a past president of the Ohio Municipal League. He was instrumental in Toledo downtown redevelopment, which reactivated dormant Vistula Downtown renewal project and initiated Riverview Downtown renewal project, including Levis Square and Promenade Park. It also reactivated and instituted many neighborhood renewal projects, tree planting and open space programs including Swan Creek Park acquisition. This secured needed charter changes to provide local funding and ability to meet local problems. He was a member of the Toledo Bar Association (Executive Committee 1962-1964), Lucas County, Ohio State Bar Associations and the American Bar Association; and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, the American Judicature Society, Sixth Judicial Circuit District Judges Association and Federal Judges Association. His wife, Phyllis and daughter, Kathy, both served as President of the Toledo Bar Association Auxiliary. Former memberships included Toledo Are Chamber of Commerce-Vice President 1973-74; former Associate Public Member Toledo Labor Management Committee; Past President and member of the University of Toledo Alumni Association; Past President and member of Kiwanis Club of West Toledo; Past President and former board member of the Committee of Relations with Toledo Spain; member and former board member of the Toledo Zoological Society; former board member of Conlon Center and Cummings School; member and honorary board member Toledo Opera Association; member Toledo Symphony Orchestra Association; the Toledo Museum of Art, Old Newsboys, National Trust for Historic Preservation Ohio Historical Society and Maumee Valley Historical Society; member and former trustee of Epworth United Methodist Church; and Honorary Chairman Toledo Festival of the Arts-1980. He received a Leadership Award from Toledo Building Congress in 1965; received an Award of Merit for outstanding and worthy contributions from the Toledo Board of Realtors in 1966 & 67; a Resolution of Recognition Award from the Ohio House of Representatives; a Resolution of Appreciation by the Toledo Zoological Society; a recognition by the Toledo Bar Association in 1992 for 10 years of service on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Western Division; cited by the Ohio Supreme Court,1973, for outstanding judicial service; in 1994 was elected to Libbey High School, Toledo, Hall of Fame; 1995 recipient of the Ohio State Bar Foundation Award for Outstanding Research or Service in Law or Government; in 1998 a conference room was named the Potter –Young Conference Room, United States Courthouse-Toledo; and has been listed in Who’s who in America, Who’s Who in the Midwest and Who’s Who in American Law. Visitation will be held at the Foth-Dorfmeyer Mortuary, 3815 Sylvania Ave. (at Woodley Rd.) on Friday, October 11 from 3-7 p.m. Additional visitation will be held on Saturday, October 12 after 10 a.m. at Epworth United Methodist Church, 4855 Central Ave. with funeral services to follow at 11 a.m. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions are preferred to The Victory Center or the charity of the donor’s choice. The family would like to gratefully thank Dr. Donald Hickey for his many years of dedicated service and the outstanding care from the nurses at The Toledo Hospital. All can agree that The Judge will always be remembered for his good humor and quick wit. www.fothdorfmeyer.com